Wednesday, February 05, 2014

IWSG: Writing and Motherhood


It is that time of month again. and sence at the moment my little James is sleeping I thought I would take the time to write a blog post for the first time in several months. I think it is interesting that my first blog post coming back form Maturnity leave is near the same subject matter as that which was my last.

I think with that amount of information can tell you what my current insecurities are. I heard it once said "when a women has a child she loses four books." The concept behind that statement is that the time it takes to care for a child takes up the time that a women would normally spend writing. It is a sad thought that I am afraid to believe. it does take time to take care of a child.

Add to that the disappointing statements from friends who are parents who love to tell a new parent that they will never have time to do anything that they enjoyed before they became parenthood. as if now that I have a child my only identity is that I am now a mom. Being a mom has somehow superseded all the things that made up my identify before now.

Now I know from my observation that this is not true. women who are mothers are also bakers, artists, writers, students and successful in business. things will not be done as often as before maybe sacrifices will be made but I've seen and known so many mothers who are so much more then just mothers. So why are parents so discouraging to new parents?

I'll close with this quote from one of my favorite books "Homeless Bird" :

"'I will make time,' I promised, 'the home will not always be so clean, the cooking may be a little hasty, and the whining children will sit on my lap and I'll sing to them while I work'"

you can read more IWSG posts at: http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/p/the-insecure-writers-support-group.html

till next time God Speed and Open Roads

3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I love your quote. Babies grow up quickly. Too quickly. Enjoy your little one. Taking care of a newborn is exhausting. Write if/when you can, but cut yourself some slack. Best wishes.

Charity Bradford said...

Maybe they are just bitter because they allowed themselves to get lost during their parenting years. I did for many years and then I realized that I don't have to be just MOM.

I wasn't mom when I was born, right? It's been a wonderful few years as I've learned to balance home life and my desire to really WRITE.

Good luck to you! Find the time when you can and it will work out for you. Children are wonderful, but so is our individuality.

Unknown said...

"A Different Drum Beat" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-sunday-drive_16.html