Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Holy week thoughts

I know it has been a while sense holy week but because things are kinda dry this week I thought i would go ahead and post post that I wrote a while ago and never got around to posting. 

Because I go to a high liturgical church Holy week was new this year. Holy Week means a lot of Church.  And I mean a lot.  from Thursday to Sunday I went to Church six times.  here are some of the highlights and new experiences form Palm Sunday to Resurrection Sunday. 

Palm Sunday: the congregation gathered outside the church and processed inside saying "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.  Hosanna in the Highest!"

Maundy Thursday: The special par of this service is that the priest washes the feet of the congregation.  So My Priest washed my feet. 

Good Friday: this year's Service was quite possibly the most  moving Good Friday Service I've been to yet.  and pretty much all we did was walk around the church; going though the Stations of the Cross

Holy Saturday: The Easter vigil is by far the most amazing service of the entire year.  we don't do the all night service that the orthodox do, but my husband thinks we should.  it is scripture, songs and the reading of the best Easter Sermon ever written.  Seriously John Chrysostom says every thing that needs to ever be said on the subject. 

No comments: