Sunday, July 17, 2011

Trip To WY

So I have been a little MIA recently.  well that is because I got back from WY on Monday and well it just took me this long to get back into blogging. So here is a recap:

July 2: we leave Kentucky
Most of day one was spent driving, and driving. I did a lot of the driving while Greg read to me or we listened to books on tape.  Greg read Sourcery by Terry Pratchett which is book 5 of the Diskworld Series. we love the Disk world books. We Listened to The Game of Thrones by Gorge R R Martin book one of the Song of Ice and fire Saga, and The Starter By Scott Sigler Book two in the GFL Series.  Three really awesome books. any way it got interesting when we found out that I-29 was closed and ended up on a detour that took us on some mostly empty dark hwy through Iowa.  we were going to have to take hwy 54 all the way to MN but we found I-80 and were saved.

July 3 on the road....mostly
day two was disappointing. The passenger side front wheel decided that it wanted to separate from the car and have adventures all by itself. we spent 3 hours in Lexington NE waiting for someone to come and help up fix it, on the Sunday before the fourth of July! it sucked. but we did make it to my parent's house.

July 4 at my folk's house.
a mostly lazy day, Greg discovered the hammock in the trees, and I hung out with my mom. my causing and her husband came over for dinner and we had a good time. sadly no fire works.

July 5 a small trip
I got up and went with my cousin and mom to Sheridan. see where my folks live the closest Walmart is 30 miles away in another town, and most things are at least an hour away. we got pictures, food. then it was back home to get ready for the wedding shower. because I got married here in Kentucky there were a lot of people from my family and friends who couldn't make it, so we had a reception and a shower just for these people. it was a wonderful time with the ladies from the Church I grew up in.

July 6 clean up
with the girls coming in on Thursday, family coming in on Friday, and the reception on Saturday Wednesday was the day to get all the last minuet cleaning done.  Greg and I also went to talk to Pastor Bob about the blessing that was going to happen on Saturday.

July 7 another trip
well we had to go and get the Girls, my lovely sisters flew in from Phoenix for the party on Saturday. Greg came with mom and I. we introduced mom to Terry Pratchett. I got last minuet yarn for a knitting project that was supposed to be done back in still isn't done...sigh... Oh we also stopped to see my Great-Uncle and Aunt who live there. I hadn't see them in a long time.

July 8 Family!!!!
this day was actually awesome because just before Family Showed up there was a crazy rainstorm. Twin 1 and I had fun jumping on the tramp while it was raining. and then in between the regular rain storm and the rainstorm that followed was...wait for it...a DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY ACROSS. no joke. then family came and the house was a non stop craziness. #5 of my dad's brothers, who has SIX kids all under 13, was there. he has four boys and two girls and it is insanity. also #2 of my dad's sisters was there with her family she has two grown daughters. so just in case you have lost count that is our family of 6+1 (Greg), #5B's family of 8, #2S's family of 4, 4 dogs (my parents have one, Brother has one, #2S brought her two dogs) 2 Cats, that are staying at out house, for now... my cousin and her husband came out for dinner as well and then stayed for dessert. Dessert was for daddy to make a fire in the old fire pit for the little ones to make s'mores.

Now for a fun story. the youngest daughter of #5B is only 3, and it is quite possible that this was one of her first times roasting marshmallows. so she would stick the marshmallow in the fire and pull it out saying "I did it." now that is really cute... till she starts swinging her stick around. now us older cousins were out and knew it was only a matter of time before she poked someone or worst smacked someone with a flaming marshmallow. So I tried to be proactive and move her away from everyone so she could still have some fun. well that worked like anything else works with a three-year-old. pretty soon she was back in the middle of her brothers and sister. this time my dad was there, and this time the marshmallow was on fire. My dad grabbed her stick and tried to tell her why she couldn't do what she was doing. she went into hysterics saying "but it's mine!" Dad realizing that he could not reason with the three-year-old put her in one of the chairs and did not give her the roasting stick back. Dad has 3 daughters who have all been little terrors (I being the worst) so he has had lots of practice dealing with kids having temper tantrums. he tried one more time to tell her why she couldn't roast marshmallows with the other kids, and she replied with a raspberry. Dad gave her a raspberry back. Poor poor little three-year-old she yelled "I'm going to tell my mommy" and ran back to the house. us older cousins (who were being very nestalgic thinking about all our childhood summers spent together) just laughed.

July 9 the day of the big party!
And it was a big party. Pastor Bob came out several surprise visitors (the good kind you know the people that you had lost contact with but have some how been reconnected into your life that you had wished you had never lost contact with? those kind of surprise visitors). there were aunts, uncles, friends from all stages of my growing up years. one of those parties that you know there are people who have and will always remember and love you. we had a small blessing ceremony  followed by food, beer, cup cakes, and fellowship. I got to talk to everyone, and see people I haven't see in years, and most importantly I got to ware my dress again. how many people get to ware thier wedding dress twice? yep I did.

I should had that Dad's #3 sister and her family (she has one son who's about 2) came and stayed the night so at this point there are 21 people at the house, 4 dogs, 3 cats...and probably a partridge in a pear tree somewhere.

July 10 our last day in WY
We got up and I mingled with my family for a while as Greg and I tried to get ready to leave. We went to church with my mom to the earliest service which is a liturgical service. We saw some of the people who had come to the party the night before and some other people who couldn't make it for one reason or another. then went home to say good bye to family get everything pact and hit the road. we stopped in Douglas to see bestest friend and her husband at a little league game. Greg got excited when he realized that the pitcher for the opposing team was tipping his pitches.  Then it was back on the road. we were going to push through. so where the 10th actually changes to the 11th is kind of hard to say. so I will just put here that Iowa was mean to us and tried to eat us. the 29 was still closed and well that meant we had to take back roads which were not marked as detour very well.

July 11 we make it home.
we unpack and sleep.

this week regular blogging will resume it's regular programming. thank you for you patient understanding.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I don't comment enough...sorry. I look forward to your return.