Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday: Pray of St Patrick

-I want to do something different for lent. It is an important time of the year, I am not Sure what all I will post here on Thursday, but hopefully it will be in line with the mod of the season.-


The Prayer of St. Patrick also called St. Patrick's Breastplate. This is one of my favorite prayers, I often pray it on my way into work while I go through my rosary. I find it centering, and comforting. I love the poetry of this prayer.

The Cross
I bind unto myself today the strong Name of the Trinity
By invocation of the same, the Three in One and One in Three.
Of whom all nature hath creation, eternal Father Spirit Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation, salvation is of Christ the Lord

The invitatory
Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me.
Chris beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

The Cruciforms (this part is repeated between each of the weeks)
I Bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in three.

The Weeks
1. I bind this day to me for ever, by the power of Faith, Christ's Incarnation;
2. His baptism in Jordan river;
3. His death on cross for my salvation;
4. His bursting form the spiced tomb;
5. His riding up the heavenly way;
6. His coming in the day of doom;
7. I bind unto myself today

1. I bind unto my self today the power of the great love of cherubim
2. The sweet well done in judgement hour
3. The service of the seraphim
4. The confessors' faith The Apostle's word
5. The Patriarchs' Prayers, the Prophets' scrolls
6. All Good deeds done unto the lord
7. And the purity of virgin souls

1. I bind unto myself today the virtues of the starlit heaven
2. The Glorious sun's life-giving ray
3. The whiteness of the moon at even
4. The flashing of the lighting free
5. The whirling wind's tempestuous socks
6. The Stable Earth the deep salt sea
7. All around the old eternal rocks

1. I bind unto myself today the power of God to hold and lead
2. His eye to watch, his might to stay
3. His ear to hearken to my need.
4. The wisdom of my God to teach
5. His hand to guide, His shield to teach
6 The word of God to give me speech,
7. His heavenly Host to be my guard

1. Against the demon snares of sin
2. the vice that gives temptation force,
3. The natural lust that war within
4. The Hostile men that mar my Course
5. Or few or many, Far or nigh
6. In every Place and in all hours
7. Against their fierce hostility I bind to me these holy powers

1. Against all Satan's spells and wiles,
2. Against false words of heresy
3. Against the knowledge that defiles
4. Against the heart's idolatry, Against the wizard's evil craft
5. Against the death wound and the burning
6. The Choking wave the poisoned shaft
7. Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning

Next the Our Father (Lord's Prayer) followed by: Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning is now and will be world without end AMEN.

No comments: