Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Insecure Writer's Suport Group

Today as the first wednesday of the month, which means it is time for the Insecure Writer's Suport Group which means it is time to share an insecurity. I think the point of it is to share the insecurity so that we can realize that we all feel insecure at times. I would like to share my my insecurities as November drew closer. these are not new but perhaps entertaining. I spent the last week of October fretting over the oncoming month of November  Like so many writers I hoped to participate in The National Novel Writing Month. I had a plan, a plan that some of my readers and friends encouraged me to follow. The idea was to take an idea that I have been working and toying with for the last seven years. It was an idea was an epic, with multiple layers. As I tried to tease out what to do, how to write the first story of what will be a six book series.

And as the last days of October passed by I became completely convinced that I had chosen poorly. the project I was about to embark on was going to be too hard, to complicated for me to end the month of November with little more then a collection of words that would look more like something that came out of the city of old emperors then a real story that anyone would ever want to read and that I most definitely woud abandon rather then edited. I was afraid to start, I was starting on a project that was going to be doomed to failure.

Then something interesting happened, we are a week in and ahead of the standard word count. There is something happening in this story. Despite my insecurities about the project this story is coming together well.

So today if you are participating in Nanowrimo and if you are behind remember that whatever your word count is at the end of the month, you've won, every day you have written is a word more then you had before. Keep at it, what ever the end result is. if you are worried about whether or not you can achieve the end result of your November writing I believe in you. now Go Write!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gloria, what a perfect message. Visiting from IWSG. :)

Tamara said...

Great post and great message. I'm WAY behind on Nano--but I still am plugging away at it. Even if I don't get done this month, I'll have accomplished what I can, and that's enough.

I'm a new follower btw. Nice to meet you!!

Jen said...

Lovely post! I've been struggling with that very same thing. My word count is really suffering BUT i have more words than if I'd never started in the first place.

Nice to "meet" you! Visiting from the IWSG.

Jen

Melissa said...

Great post!
Welcome to the club. :)

Lexie Rising said...

I'm glad you didn't give up when you felt like your project was doomed to failure- now look!!
Great advice and best of wishes in NaNo!!

Janey said...

An IWSG? Just what i have needed these many years!
Am not only insecure, I have a computer that doesn't like me participating in NaNo.

You see, I had a great time over the weekend, writing away - an over-night writing binge by our NaNo group started me off (Friday night).
But ... for all my frequent saves on Saturday and Sunday, my word count has not increased at all.

I KNOW I saved it often - I was quite religious about doing that.
But I slacked off on checking the file name, what it was saved under.

So now there are nearly 4,000 words hiding somewhere in the bowels of my computer.

Boo Hoo,
JaneyinNS (my NaNo name)