Advantageous is a Short film that has done very well in different film festivals, so well that director and co-writer Jennifer Phang wants to make it a full length feature. So she is using kickstarter to rase the money she needs to make it happen.
I found out about this kickstarter through twitter and after watching her video on kickstarter and then going to the website to watch the short I am convinced that this needs to happen. If I wasn't currently unemployed I would probably give to this.
Here is the synopsis from thier site:
Gwen is the spokesperson for a radical technology allowing people to overcome their natural disadvantages and begin life anew. But when her job and family are in crisis, will she undergo the procedure herself?
That is just a bief overview of the film. First this movie is a Science fiction dystopia film, and it is about what a mother would go through, what she is willing to do to see that her child has a chance to succeed in a very competitive world. Gwen is a relatable character she is beautiful, smart, and loves her daughter sacrificially.
Here are the reasons I think a) you should go watch the short film (seriously it is like 25 minuets long) and b) why I think it should become a feature film:
1. I'm also a sucker for a good mother/daughter story. (as can be seen by the fact that I own every season of the Gilmore Girls) it is important for us to think about what sacrifices our mothers made for us to get where we are, what they would do to make our dreams come true. I really don't think there are enough of these stories. In all honesty I don't think there are enough stories about mothers out there period. Moms are important, and to me this film incapsulated the verse: Isaiah 49:15a "Can a Mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?"
2. the film is beautifully made, the music the sets all give the overal feel to the movie that is strain of hope in a world that is out to destroy you. the music is beautiful I would love to have the soundtrack of this film to listen to over and over again. the artwork that the child draws is inspiring. I really can't gush enough or find words to describe how pretty I find this film both in the way it tells the story and in the visuals it uses.
3. Today coming out of hollywood is more and more of the same old same old. the popular movies are reboots of films that succeeded in the past and the companies hope to make money on again. this is a refreshing story that is new and different from everything else.
4. This movie takes a long look at what the future for women might look like and what the future of education might look like. These are to topics that seem to be everywhere right now, (though maybe that is just me). but the are important topics to look at through the eye of a possible future.
5. there is a wonderful line in this movie that I love: "It's good to be humble but you have to know your worth." Something that is so important for all of us to know.
So go take a look at the movie, if you can go to the kick starter page and help make this film a reality then tell everyone about it.
Till next time God Speed and Open Roads.