Saturday, May 25, 2013

Review Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon


I love old books. they are so much fun. I love the language and the style everything about them. this book by Jules Verne was particularly fun. I don't know much about Astronomy,  I don't know how it is that we actually put a man on the moon, but I know we didn't put them in a hollow bullet and shoot them out of a cannon. But what i really enjoyed about this book was listening to the arguments about space travel as they were being discussed in the 19th century. I found it completely enjoyable.

However I would not recommend this book to many people. First it is not plot, story, or character driven. It is concept driven. the idea is let's put a man on the moon, and that is what the book is about. there is conflict. Captain Nicholl would like nothing better then to see Barbicane fail. there is suspense  can they actually build a cannon big enough to should a projectile at the moon? But is a almost completely Narrative. there are a few places where the character converse but most of these are in the form of monologue. Mostly Mr. Verne is just going to tell you what happened as it unfolded.

I loved that about this book. I find my self often growing weary of the current trends of modern writers. things that People say you just can't do anymore. a book like this refreshes me, even if it mostly means that my brain has worked a little harder then normal.

So if you like reading books from another era give this one a try. Oh and for fun Check out this old Silent film adaptation. (the book ends about about 6:00 and really look at the man in the moon it is pretty cool)


No comments: