Friday, January 06, 2012

goals for the new year

I'm not a big fan of resolutions. Most the time I think people are setting themselves up for failure. A year is an awful long time, and that means it is a long time to procrastinate. I have made peace with this part of my personality because if I didn't then I would sit and worry and feel like a failure because I didn't get things done on time. This is not to say that I am always late or that I can't make deadlines. I like deadlines, just not arbitrary ones that I set for myself, because those aren't real dead lines, they are something that I made up. And that is how I feel about New Years resolutions.

I also am a fan of little steps. For example like most everyone else I have a goal for the year that is to lose weight. my big thing right now is to try and do 10 minuets of palates every morning before I go to work. no this isn't much but it is something and something is better then nothing, plus it doesn't mean I have to get up earlier or go to bed earlier so it doesn't change my lifestyle to much. 

I like looking at my week and saying someday I want to be here, but this week I will try to be here. like I'd like to write most every day, I'd like to clean every day, I'd like to draw every day, and I'd like to knit every day, and I'd like to read every day, and I'd like to blog every day. but there are only about 16 hours that I am awake,and eight of that is eaten up by the job that pays some of our bills. then there is down time and recharge time and cuddle time So things don't always happen the way I want them to. 

All that being said I do have some goals for the year:
1. By the end of this year I want to be looking for an agent-let's face it either i start really working towards being a writer or it is time to quit. 

2. I want to draw more often, like maybe 3-4 hours a week. I'll talk about why this is a priority next Tuesday when i talk about what is on my drawing desk. 

3. I want to design my own line of knit wear. I love knitting I love creating and I have some great ideas for some geeky patterns, as well as some steam punk.

4. I want to start writing in the academic world of literature. I have a really fun i dea for an essay about Tolkien studies. 

5. Oh yeah and I want to lose 20 pounds 

okay now my blog writing time is spilling into my exercise time, till next time. 

No comments: